Requisition ID: 106360
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Provides strategic direction, leadership and oversight for the implementation of the Bank’s Risk Management Framework across the IB Consumer Small Business and Global Insurance and provides subject matter expertise in establishing appropriate internal controls which support business plan growth and are in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
- Leads and drives a customer focused culture to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
- Leads the implementation of the Bank’s Risk Management Framework and Risk Appetite Statement in IB Consumer & Small Business lines, including global insurance units, ensuring adherence to key risk principles and successful implementation of appropriate key risk metrics and limits
- Reviews annually the IB C&SB Risk Appetite Framework, ensuring compliance with Bank’s Enterprise RAF and coordinates the IB C&SB RAF implementation in all business units
- Provides input in the design of non-financial risk policies & guidelines (Sales Conduct, Operational Risk, TPRM, etc.);
- Leads the implementation of the Enterprise Sales Conduct Framework for all the International Banking Consumer & Small Business unit;
- Leads and provides subject matter expertise to IB Consumer & Small Business lines, including insurance units, in establishing appropriate internal controls which support business plan growth, increase productivity, mitigate risk and provide a consistent customer experience;
- Reviews and analyzes post sale KPIs/KRIs and other risk insights and develops timely and actionable advice to local units on implementing effective controls;
- Responsible for the monthly production of the Country Sales Conduct Dashboards and other risk insights and ensures a comprehensive view is shared with executive stakeholders;
- Champions a Sales Conduct Center of Excellence for IB Consumer & Small Business units (i.e. ensuring latest guidelines, frameworks, business intelligence insights and reports as well as best practices are uploaded on divisional portal and shared with local units);
- Responsible for the development, sustainment and improvement of the Officer Outlier Methodology and the roll out in the IB Consumer & Small Business units. In the cases where the model is run centrally at a division level, ensures that Outlier Model output is communicated to local Pre-Analysis units;
- Responsible for the recalibration of the Officer Outlier Model and the overall improvement of the model’s predictive capabilities by incorporating new trends and correlations and minimizing the incidence of false positives alerts;
- Reviews and challenges action plans provided by countries to close gaps / improve internal controls;
- Actively engages in the design of new initiatives and risk assessments to minimize operational risk and suggest best in class controls;
- Provides comprehensive status updates on action plans, risk framework implementation, new risks and/or trends to IB Consumer & Small Business Sr. Management and Risk Committees;
- Partners with internal auditors to monitor progress and to provide input on Audit Findings and Internal Control Review remediation plans as required; ensuring operational deficiencies are addressed and operational soundness is maintained. Proactive follow-up to ensure that commitments made are delivered on;
- Directs day-to-day activities in a manner consistent with the Bank’s risk culture and the relevant risk appetite statement and limits;
- Responsible for delivery & implementation of various risk frameworks at local level. Ensures countries execute effective implementation of different risk requirements;
- Builds a high-performance environment and implements a people strategy that attracts, retains, develops and motivates their team by fostering an inclusive work environment; communicating vison/values/business strategy and managing succession and development planning for the team.
- Creates an environment in which his/her team pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas by ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML/ATF Global Handbook and the Guidelines for Business Conduct.
- Deep understanding of inherent risks and profitability drivers of different consumer and small business lines
- Understanding of the regulatory and tax environment in the different jurisdictions
- Broad range of knowledge and general management skills together with a well-developed network of contacts in order to effectively manage and execute the risk and reinsurance frameworks
- The incumbent exercises strategic influence over structural organizational changes across the division and develops new concepts and approaches
- Superior written/verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to speak and clearly communicate in written and oral English and Spanish is essential
- Demonstrated ability to strategically think, influence and communicate throughout all levels of the organization
- Expert Project Management/leadership/team building skills to effectively lead/motivate the team and excellent skills in relationship and general business management.
- Highly-developed cultural sensitivity in order to operate effectively across cultural and language differences is required as well.
- Ability to perform Data Analysis and Business Intelligence, being familiar with languages such as R, Phyton, and Microsoft SQL and PowerBi
- Ability to learn, and assimilate, learned information into recommendations and strategies quickly
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Relevant experience in risk (financial and non-financial) is highly desirable.
- The incumbent must hold an undergraduate degree and typically has a graduate education in business management with an emphasis on Finance or Risk Management.
- Degree in mathematics or statistics highly desirable.
- Candidates must be willing to travel internationally periodically.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.